The Merit Commissioner has two main lines of oversight outlined in the Public Service Act.
- Monitoring the application of the merit principle in provincial government organizations that appoint employees under the Public Service Act by:
- Conducting random performance audits of appointments
- Reviewing specific staffing decisions upon request by eligible individuals
- Monitoring the application of government practices, policies, and standards to eligible dismissal processes by:
- Reviewing processes that have results in just cause dismissals
The Merit Commissioner also conducts special audits and studies.